Saturday, September 04, 2004

THE QUEST BEGINS

Day 5


My mission, and I did choose to accept it, was to purchase, purloin or otherwise obtain one bottle of malt from each of the Islay distilleries.

I had to go into Spilsby for a newspaper and some milk and I sauntered into Somerfields where I spotted these on the shelf.


 Posted by Hello

The McClelland's was a mystery to me and it was only after I had bought it that I realised it was one of those 'specially bottled for...' jobbies so to make up for my mistake, I bought two bottles of Bowmore. What the hell, I was flush and feeling reckless.

AND CONTINUES APACE

Day 6


Any shopping trip to Boston wouldn't be complete without a visit to Tesco's now, would it? Leaving the Frog and Dragon amongst the fruit and vegetables, I made straight for the spirits and was not disappointed.


 Posted by Hello

One bog standard and one cask strength later and it's three down, five to go.

WELL, STRAP ME TO A TREE AND CALL ME BRENDA

Day 7


A little run out through Old Bolingbroke and up and over the hill to Horncastle. The only place to park there is really Tesco's and, as we were there, I allowed the Frog to drag me inside.

After getting her some munchies and something to drink, I half-heartedly perused the spirits' section where, lo and behold, was lurking one of the more hard to get malts of Islay.


 Posted by Hello

Pausing only to kiss the Frog in gratitude, I crossed the Caol Ila off the list and headed out for the river where she indulged in a spot of duck worrying.

I was then dragged through every shop in Horncastle, most of which are antique emporia, second-hand bookshops or charity shops. Considerably lighter of pocket, I was heading back to the car when I spotted an off-licence. More in hope than expectation, I wandered in, glanced up at the whiskies and exclaimed, "Bingo!" Having thus attracted the attention of the assistant, I made my purchase and wended my merry way back to the car with the following.


 Posted by Hello

All in all, a very good day.

No comments: