Sunday, January 02, 2005

Part 3

My friend cut across four lanes of motorway with a nonchalance I could not share and moments later we pulled into the courtyard of the Ventura Hotel in the XI district of Buda. My companion alighted with gusto and set off jauntily for the main entrance. I followed behind somewhat encumbered by our impedimenta. I caught up and found him in animated conversation with the doorman who seemed to be attempting to persuade my friend to avail himself of an ashtray situated some sixty feet to the east of our intended route into the establishment. My Magyar is scant, but I do believe I caught a reference to somebody's mother as my friend rather theatrically allowed his cigarette to drop to the pavement and ground it underfoot. I followed him through the revolving door.

No comments: